Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Email from Bill Peduto . . .

All –

Thank you for taking the time to email about the unacceptable condition of our City streets. I am not satisfied with the response of the City and I shared my frustration with the Mayor in a conference call this afternoon. During that call, I also urged the Mayor to hire private contractors to help get the job done. Right now, we need to focus on getting streets in better condition before the worst part of the next storm hits. It is my belief that the City has done a good job responding to public safety issues. We have worked hard to restore electricity across the City. We have provided safe routes for paramedics and called in the National Guard to assist where needed. However, the snow plowing has not met my expectations or the expectations of taxpayers. Today, I traveled to the suburbs and saw streets that were completely cleared, while major arteries within the city limits remained snow covered. The problems are not just in my district and in the east end, but exist citywide. I am hearing from residents across the City, as well as my Council colleagues, about major streets that are still dangerous to drive on. This is unacceptable and must be changed.

Once this storm is over, I will be calling for both a post agenda and a public hearing to determine where the failures in operations were. We need to implement a results based operation plan. We need to set goals and timelines where people are held accountable for meeting those goals. We need to implement new computer software that models the most effective route system (this is something I have pushed for for several years). We also need to look at gps tracking on our plows so that residents can look online and see where the plows are in real time. Lastly, we need to analyze how many trucks and workers are needed to complete the streets in 48 hours and make the necessary changes.

I will work with my Council colleagues to address all these issues for the future and we will work to guarantee that the City is accountable to its citizens. For now, I remain focused on trying to get your streets cleared as quickly as possible. Today, I pushed the Mayor to get more resources on the street and will do so again tomorrow. I have also asked him to let the public know when people can expect their street plowed and not settle for what has been delivered to date.

I appreciate you taking the time to email me. I apologize for the frustration that we have all been experiencing together and I assure you I am equally frustrated and will not settle for the status quo.

I will keep you posted. Be safe.

Bill Peduto

1 comment:

ff said...

Bill's my hero. I bet the North Side looks spectacular. F-ing Opie.