Thursday, February 18, 2010

DAVE: Jim Bibby died.

JIM: No way.

Was he sick?
JIM: I told my wife this morning that Jim Bibby died. I didn't expect that she would know who that was, but sometimes she surprises you with these things. Like I'll make a crack to someone about Paul Mokeski's mustache or something like that and she'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Not this time though.

Anyway, my son started asking questions and when I told him that Bibby pitched for the Pirates when they won the World Series, he said, "When was that, back in the 30s or 40s?"

I wasn't sure if that would make you laugh or cry.
And of course you always liked Jim Bibby. We always remember the World Series heroes from our youth fondly.
DAVE: Jim Bibby was an extraordinary perspirer. His giant frame on the mound, just dripping sweat from every angle. They still talk about it. Whenever a player is a heavy perspirer, they get compared to Jim Bibby. He set the standard.

No comments: