Monday, February 15, 2010

Dave and Bill Peduto, talking about snow . . .

DAVE: Hi, Bill. Obviously, you have been inundated with emails from residents all over the City. I'm sure that I have little to add to what others have already said. However, one thing that I'm quite sure that you don't know about me is that I lived in Toronto for two years. So, I have experienced winter on levels that many Pittsburghers can only imagine. And, of course, because of its climate and being a major metropolitan area, they deal with big snow storms a little differently than we do. The major difference is that they don't plow it or salt it, but rather they simply pick it up and take it somewhere. I can't say that I know where they take it. Lake Ontario? Regardless, they pick it up, so there are no massive monoliths of ice and snow left behind on streets that have been cleared. Those massive piles of snow will eventually (and hopefully) melt someday, leaving sheets of ice to form all over the City, which will then be cause for alarm and a lot of salt from Public Works. Maybe our city doesn't get enough major snow storms to justify exploring such a strategy, but maybe exploring such a strategy while there are open discussions about snow storm response is not a bad idea. When I was living and going to high school in Toronto, a snowfall of 20 inches, and we were in school the next day at regular time. That city knows what it takes to deal with a snow storm. But, of course, they have many years of experience.

BILL: The major problem is that we have NO strategy. Really - none.

DAVE: I see. Well, do you have Guy Costa's phone number?

BILL: Already spoke with him - twice.

DAVE: Can you call Toronto and ask them for some advice?

BILL: it really is basic operation protocol - just google routesmart and then snowplow tracker and snow removal - it is boilerplate policy in other cities - I know, I know - because Luke and co won't do it.

DAVE: Why won't he do it? Because it was your idea?

BILL: Funny - no, I am just saying that I have been trying to push "professional management systems" for plowing, paving and other dpw operations for the past several years. During this time, the Mayor has stated that we don't' need it or there was no interest in pursuing it. Really - just look online.

Maybe this storm will finally compel the administration to change their mind or maybe it will compel people to actively demand these types of reforms.

Or maybe not...

Either way, I will keep pushing.

DAVE: But I wonder why he doesn't see the potential benefits of professional management systems. That's the part that befuddles me. That's why people (like me) joke that it's just because the ideas are yours.

No comments: