Monday, January 25, 2010

I drove by the new Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC today. Truly, a glorious looking building from the outside, a gem in the Pittsburgh landscape. And it cost a billion dollars, I think. That's a lot of money. No wonder UPMC has to close their satellite hospital in Braddock (where poor people live, many of them without health care insurance). That's as much money as the new Yankee Stadium cost to build. And I think the new Cowboys Stadium cost at least that much.

And when they started, there was already a hospital there. Does anyone remember St. Francis? Listen to me. I sound like I work for the Chamber of Commerce. Which I would never do. Because I'm far too anti-social. And because I would probably have to work with the Boy Mayor. And that just plain ain't happening.

As I was saying, I drove by the new Children's Hospital today, and I couldn't help but notice the handful of folks perched out on the sidewalk in front of the building, fighting the swirling wind, to smoke their cigarettes. While presumably, their children were in the hospital being treated for something or other. I know it's commonplace nowadays to see people puffing away hurriedly, visitors and staff alike, out on the sidewalks that border Pittsburgh's many hospitals. But it always makes me cringe just a little bit more when I see it at Magee Women's Hospital and at Children's.

No comments: