Monday, May 12, 2008

Blue blazers and cocktail napkins . . .

When I was taking off my blue blazer on Friday night, after a very long day, I found a beige cocktail napkin with red lettering on it tucked away in one of the pockets. It was from my long-time best friend's wedding in November of 2005. Sometime last year, I stopped being friends with Ian, after we had some disagreements about some things that good friends sometimes clash over. Especially as we get older and life seems to test us in more and more challenging ways than it used to. Seeing the little rumpled napkin took me right back to that place and time, when I was at his wedding, seeing him so happy, and inside, there was a part of me that was just beginning to truly realize that my best friend had found a new best friend for the rest of his life.

I emailed Ian today to let him know that I had found the napkin. He emailed back in very typical Ian and Dave fashion. And it was familiar and comforting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Ian I said hello, although I doubt he remembers me.