Monday, May 3, 2010

Did you know that we're not supposed to dispose of everyday, single-use alkaline batteries in the household garbage? Nope. That's bad for the environment. We need to take them to a place that will recycle and dispose of them properly, hopefully for no cost. I have taken batteries from cordless phones to Construction Junction, and I think they charged me 40 cents per battery. I don't know if they take single-use batteries, but I've found a place on the South Side called the Pennsylvania Resources Council (http://www.prc.org/community_easier.html) where you can recycle a bunch of stuff, including batteries, for free. Now, while I really don't want to schlep over to the South Side during business hours so that I can recycle batteries and empty ink cartridges, I will probably do it because it doesn't cost anything. I have a hard time with recycling programs that charge you a fee to recycle a product. I mean, a lot of places will take a little spiral, compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL), but then that's it for bulbs. What about the other light bulbs that contain trace amounts of Mercury like CFLs? Where can I take those? The good folks at PRC don't take them, but they did tell me that Construction Junction does. For a fee. One dollar per bulb. These are the new-fangled bulbs, you know? The globe vanity bulbs that I formerly used in my bathroom cost me something like $6 to begin with, (then lasted a period of time that was far short of the "guaranteed to last seven years" promise) and then I have to pay another $1 when I want to dispose of them properly. I want to recycle, I want to save Mother Earth before she kills me. I just don't want to have to pay a fee every time I have to replace the batteries in one of my remote controls. We live in a time of many remote controls, and I am no exception.

No comments: