Saturday, June 9, 2007

We think with our hoses

So, I've been living in my condo (once referred to as a "cool, great space" by FF) since December 2005, and sometime last year, I joined the condo association's board, which consists of the president, the vice president, the secretary, and the treasurer. I am the treasurer. Now, this little band of condo owners is quite a group of individuals. I already have countless stories that I could tell about each of them and the interactions that take place between them. Most of our communication as a board is done through email, which by itself is somewhat humorous because we all live in the same big house, just in separate units. But since virtually all communication is done via email these days, that's the way we do it, with an occasional board meeting thrown in for good measure.

As the relatively new treasurer, I peruse budget statements for the building, and I occasionally am asked to approve certain landscaping invoices. Just this week I was asked to approve a bill for $40 for what was called "put hoses out" on the invoice. So, after a little email exchange between members of the board about the hoses in our expansive yard, I wrote a funny little email just to the secretary, who I occasionally joke with about the tone and nature of some of our group emails.

Now, what makes this all amusing (since I know you've been waiting for something in this post) is that the secretary is a priest, presumably Catholic, who has a pretty good sense of humor. Oh, and he obviously works out a lot, because he is in very good shape, particularly for his age. FF calls him "buff." So, my email read, "Too many hose jokes here to even attempt one, I'm afraid, Father." This was his reply: "I haven't heard a hose joke in a long time."

I still haven't stopped laughing. Thank you, Father.

No comments: