Friday, June 8, 2007

The occasional soapbox pontification

So, dog fighting and betting has recently been in the sports news because the highly overrated quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons Michael Vick has been linked to the underground activity that is apparently quite common among certain factions of our society. Listen, I don't have anything clever to say about this topic. Dog fighting, dog cruelty, hell, animal cruelty of any kind or in any form is just plain wrong and frankly, uncivilized. I wish there was more room in our overcrowded jails to put those who engage in these kind of activities away for lengthy sentences that would reflect their level of wrongness. But since there isn't, people found guilty of animal cruelty usually just get a slap on the wrist and a fine. If it were up to me, people like Michael Vick would go away for a while, and I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping at night. And, I'd be willing to bet that more than a few Atlanta Falcon fans would thank me for ridding them of their troubled quarterback.

No comments: