Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I have a question that's always perplexed me . . .

When you have an item ready for recycling, does rinsing it out two or three times with water actually cancel out the environmental benefit of the recycling itself?


I am pretty solid when it comes to recycling. As my high-speed internet shopping spree unfolded, I found myself inundated with empty cardboard boxes. I used to just stroll those out to the dumpster behind my building. But now I use my switchblade (that I've had since high school and whose sole function in my life is to undo the tape on boxes) to undo the tape and break them down (like you're supposed to) before driving them to Construction Junction to be recycled.

I'm fairly certain that the gas that I burn to make what is a short journey to recycle the boxes cancels out, if not outweighs, the benefits of recycling the boxes. But I do it anyway. Although I do try not to make a special trip, so I get some environmental points for that. Right? Hello?

No comments: