Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm dog sitting for a couple of friends for a few days this week. I'm staying with their dog Zoe, who is getting older. She is a great dog and has lived a very full and rewarding life, but her youth is behind her now. Her hearing and sight are not what they used to be, and she has some occasional problems controlling her balance in her rear end. She stumbled a bit today toward the end of our walk. It made me very sad. She limped along for a few steps before I decided to take an injury timeout. So, after a few moments for recovery, we were back on our way. Aging dogs can be very tortuous on the soul. I have a soft spot for older dogs. My very favorite dog in our family, and the dog prior to Sidney to live with me for several years, was Fritz, and he was a real pleasure of a dog during his golden years. He was content with the life of a senior citizen canine. He did have the occasional bout with some ailment, and he was not in necessarily good health. But we had some good years. They just join our lives in progress, hang out for a decade or more, and then they get older and slow down. Before they leave us. And our lives continue, even though those of us dog lovers are forever changed.

And being around Zoe makes me think about and miss Sidney even more than usual.

No comments: