Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Post number 400 . . .

I reluctantly watched the movie "Marley and Me" last night with my parents. I had very low expectations, but it turned out to be an okay film. The thing that struck me was that the filmmakers were able to show how the life of a dog can be so intertwined with the life of a young couple that grows over the years into a family, with all of the highs and lows that come with that growth. Of course, Marley grew older as the movie progressed, inevitably becoming sick and having to be put down. The film did a good job, I thought, of showing how a family reacts when one of its pivotal members gets sick and dies, even if that member is the family pet. By the end of the movie, both my father and my mother were reaching for tissues to wipe their eyes. I myself felt my eyes grow heavy with tears, but I managed to keep it together. But I must admit that I was very moved by the ending. I couldn't help but be reminded of the dogs that have been in my family over the years and how emotionally heart-wrenching it can be to say good-bye to a good friend while the life of a family continues. So, if you have a dog, make sure to pet it everyday and talk to it and tell it what a good dog it is. You will glad that you did when it comes time to say good-bye.

1 comment:

Mr. Blondie said...

Haven't seen Marley and Me. I don't like sad movies. I want to be entertained when I spend time to watch a movie.

My dog had his annual checkup last week. He is nearly 12 now. The vet said he is starting to get a little senile, but otherwise doing OK.

How can you tell if your dog is senile?