Sunday, January 11, 2009

I came to Florida with only 15 day's worth of one of the medications that I take. So, in order to make the medication last longer, I started taking half of the daily dose. I was feeling good, and I continued to feel good, so everything seemed fine. Then, as my stay here grew longer and my supply of pills started to get lower, last Monday I decided to stop taking the medication in order to conserve the pills. This, of course, is something that you should never do, and something that people with mental illness are notorious for doing when they are feeling so good that they think that they don't need to keep taking their medications. I was doing it to conserve pills, rather than because I didn't think that I needed to take them, but the reasons are not important, because the result was predictable. Starting on Wednesday morning, I had trouble getting out of bed in the morning. The same happened on Thursday morning, and by the time Friday came, I was in bad shape and feeling worse than I have in a long time. I spent a lot of time in bed on Friday and Saturday, and I got out of bed late today trying to work through it and muster enough energy to watch the Steelers/Chargers playoff game at 4:45. I've experienced these symptoms before, although they do seem particularly severe right now. I feel like I have the flu, with intermittent hot spells and cold spells, body aches, and a runny nose. I feel weak, I have no energy, and my head is so foggy that I can't concentrate on much of anything. Even writing this post has been a challenge. I look like a sick person. I've started taking the pills again, and I can't wait for them to start working. I will have to find a way to get more of them down here, since I only have a limited number of them left. But I have to learn the obvious lesson from this experience to never stop taking my medications. The only problem with that is that prior to receiving ECT treatments, I will have to be weaned off of my medications. I don't know what I'm going to do about that.

No comments: