Sunday, August 3, 2008

Depression is a terrible illness. Now that I've experienced it for the second time in less than three years, I really have a solid understanding of its devastating effects. And it is such a frustrating illness. I think that's a word that I use most often when I'm talking about it. Frustrating. Because unlike, say, a broken arm, which you can see as a tangible thing, depression is not really obvious. Granted, I often don't look "well," but most of the suffering is internal. There are physical symptoms. When it first started, I had body aches and fatigue which I compared to how you feel when you have the flu. I also got headaches occasionally. But depression mostly just eats away at you on the inside, turning your own mind and thoughts against you. It's also very exhausting. I am tired all of the time, and often prefer being in bed to anything else. Of course, this is a very common symptom of depression, with some people staying in bed for days at a time. I have been fortunate to avoid such a fate by structuring my days so that I have somewhere to be in the evenings, which serves to force me out of bed so that I can shower and leave the condo. But it's still a struggle. I often think that I would prefer to just stay in bed all day. It's horrible. Much of my frustration stems from the fact that I seem to be stuck at a certain place in my recovery. I bottomed out sometime in June, but I have leveled off to a place that is better than the abyss that I was in, but I don't seem to be improving from that point. I just go day to day without turning the corner toward wellness. The doctor who is treating me is frustrated, and I am frustrated. I don't know when this will start to improve so that I can get back to living a normal life. It's been so long that I almost forget what a normal life for me is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I commend you for dealing with your depression. Some people try to ignore it because they know if they have to deal with it then everything around them will fall a part. Of course it sounds like you can't help but deal with it. I think that this is a transition period in your life and that there is a reason why you are dealing with this now. I may not believe in a religion or any particular person or institution, but I like to believe that things happen to us for a reason -- or, at the very least, there can be a purpose gleaned from what happens to us. You will learn from this period in your life.

Anonymous said...

People who suffer chronic body aches that do not seem to go may be suffering depression. Chronic and nagging body aches have been found to be very potent indicators of depression. http://www.xanax-effects.com