Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One of the characters on my building's condo board is the president, Mel. Mel is an older gentleman who has been the board's only president since the building went condos in 1987. He and I haven't always gotten along so well. But last year, I called a truce, meaning that now I just THINK about what a goof he is, rather than actually WRITING it in board emails. Anyway, he writes these emails and sends them to all of the residents of the building. For example . . .


(SUNDAY NIGHT)

MEL: Dear neighbor:

Sharon and I just noticed that someone tried to open our front door by shoving what appears to be something like a screwdriver between the door and the doorframe. There is a groove near the lock on our door evidencing this.

This could only have happened by someone gaining unauthorized entry to our building.

Please do not leave any of the doors to our building open or ajar unless you are near that door. Tom B.-please advise your tenant about this as we do not have an email address for him.

Please let me know if your front door has a groove like I've described above. Also, please let me know if any of you have lost your keys to our front and back door, or if you have any specific reason like losing your keys why we should change our building's common door locks.

This is not the first time that I've heard of anything like this in all the many years we've been living here. Please stay vigilant.

I plan to call a locksmith and have a steel plate or something like that installed on my door as a precaution. Let me know if you want the same.

Thank you,
Mel


(MONDAY MORNING)

JANE (lives above Mel): Thanks, Mel. Glad you both, and your place, are OK.

What a welcome home! I may be interested in a steel plate – let me know what this might cost.

Thanks !
- jane

MEL: There is now a question as to whether there was an attempted breakin, Jane. It's possible my door chain caused the indentation.

I decided to forego the steel plate.

Mel

No comments: