Friday, February 4, 2011

The last remaining Blockbuster in my part of Pittsburgh, if not all of Pittsburgh, is closing. The time has come for the Blockbuster next to the 24-hour Wendy's on Baum Boulevard (which I don't think is even opened 24 hours anymore). While all of the other Blockbusters around town and around the country have closed, this one store remained opened as it continued to serve the variety of small neighborhoods around it. Like so many others before me, I joined the Netflix cult last year. But if you don't have a credit card, then you can't join Netflix or the similar companies that rent video games. I guess this Redbox that I see everywhere has pretty much replaced Blockbuster among consumers without credit cards. Just think about how the emergence of Blockbuster about 20 years ago dramatically changed the way people watched movies at home. For years we rented movies on those VHS tapes (Please be kind and rewind), and then when Blockbuster transitioned to entirely DVDs, I was forced to buy my first and still only DVD player. Blockbuster was the gold standard for renting movies and then video games for many years. Realizing that I will never need it again, I cut up my Blockbuster membership card the other night. I had originally opened my account at the Blockbuster on Baum.

No comments: