Monday, June 2, 2008

Saturday night was a bad night for more than just the Penguins . . .

After having a few drinks during the Penguins game on Saturday night, I started hiccuping. This seems to happen to some people after they drink, and in recent years, it has started to occasionally happen to me as well. The hiccuping was so bad and so violent that even after having something to eat and trying any number of things to distract me, I couldn't stop. And they became very violent, causing my whole body to shudder with every one. I tried to go to sleep, and I guess I did fall asleep for a few hours, but then I was awakened around 4:00 by more violent hiccups. And I was pissed. I got up and was cursing as I walked around, punctuated by the hiccups that kept rattling my whole body. I just wanted to sleep off the night's festivities and put the hiccups behind me. They were so bad that I decided that I might get some relief if I threw up, something that I rarely do, unless I am really quite sick with the flu or food-borne illness. So, I got down on my hands and knees and situated myself in front of the toilet and then just let the hiccups take me naturally to the next step. Unfortunately, not even that stopped them, leaving me even more frustrated and angry. And I had just thrown up for nothing. Looking absolutely sick and desperate in the bathroom mirror, I hiccuped my way down the spiral staircase and was finally able to fall asleep in my green manchair, which is where I awoke around 6:30. I returned to bed and finally got some sleep. But I would say that it was one of the worst night's of sleep that I have ever gotten, and the hiccups were so violent and unpleasant that I'm beginning to rethink the value of drinking more than just one or two cocktails anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I eat peanut butter -- a big spoonful -- to stop them.