Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sun of Man . . .

It's Saturday morning and I'm awake. I got up around five to take Sidney out and feed him, like I do everyday, but today, I just couldn't get back to sleep. So, I left Sidney in the bed where he is still sleeping. and I've been up since then, diddling around on the computer, drinking coffee, and watching the slow and steady sunrise outside of my window.

It's been a glorious week, a week that has brought with it all of the pleasantries of Spring. The color green is finally starting to make its presence known all over the place, and the cherry tree is front of my building is bursting with blooms. How can I sleep when there is so much to do and so much to enjoy?

All of this comes after a difficult winter for me. I suffer from Seasonal Depression, so the winter months are just that much colder, that much darker for me than they are for the average person. January, February, and March were tough. I was struggling to get up in the morning, and I was sleeping in on the weekends until noon. But sure enough, just when I needed it most, Spring returned in April without the usual chill and wet weather that ordinarily accompanies it and the start of baseball season in Pittsburgh.

Now, I know that a rather severe wave of colder air and temperatures is expected here next week, but I really feel empowered right now. I think that Spring and the sun have given me the strength and fortitude to withstand a few days of typical April weather. For now, I am back to being what I consider to be my true self, my true Dave-dom.

At least until next January.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always tell myself I will get up at 5:00 some morning and take a walk in my neighbourhood but never do.

In London I used to do that. I'd take a walk in the rose garden before class, just as the sun was rising. It would still be cold, and sometimes it was so foggy that you couldn't see much in front of you.

Funny how when we are in a different place, we do things that we would not normally do.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to "Hot Girl Saturday"?