Thursday, May 14, 2009

I can't sleep. It is very frustrating. The last few days have been frustrating. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing another depressive episode, this one as a result of a change in medication that didn't turn out so good for me. I started to feel sluggish last Thursday, and that continued on Friday and Saturday. By Sunday, I was in full-blown depression. I spent most of Sunday in bed sleeping. For me, depression tends to manifest itself as a severe case of flu-like symptoms. And when I have a bad case of the flu, I usually stay in bed. So I did that Sunday, and then Monday I slept all day, suffering from intermittent chills and hot spells throughout the day. But then on Tuesday, although I stayed in bed, I was not sleeping, but rather tossing and turning restlessly for most of the afternoon. Then when I went to bed Tuesday night, I really couldn't sleep at all, and that continued through much of Wednesday. I dozed off a few times, but I never really fell into a deep sleep. Wednesday night, after a very pleasant night over at FF's house watching the season finale of "Lost," I came home, watched some TV, read for a little while, and went to bed shortly after 2:00. But I have been lying in bed since then, completely unable to get even close to sleep, and not feeling particularly tired. So, here I am, writing a blog when I would much rather be sleeping, albeit not all daylong. I am feeling better than I was a couple of days ago, with the flu-like symptoms starting to fade. But I want to sleep. Sleep.

5 comments:

Mr. Blondie said...

I'll bet that Raul Ibanez gets plenty of sleep.

Anonymous said...

i have been reading your blog for some time and i wish you would count your blessings. you seem to have a real love of word and for communication. perhaps you should try tapping into that and freelance for money instead of pity. it would be much more satisfying.

there are always those that have it much worse than you.

i suggest you watch slumdog millionaire or just get out of bed and drive thru the hill district. try helping yourself for once or if you don't care enough about yourself help someonet that can't help themself...like a blind man or a person in a wheelchair. enough already. i have a feeling that if you were on the curb with only a crumb, suddenly you would have a real problem.

Anonymous said...

I hope your niece or sister does not ever read this blog. Instead of a negative comment about a newborn, try getting down on your knees and thanking God that she is healthy (which I hope she is). I just met a fellow last week who had a son born with Downs. Reality Check.

ff said...

The Quiet Observer is not freelancing for pity and he is aware that "there are those that have it much worse" than he does. He is recording his daily thoughts as a therepeutic means to help cope with his depression - despite however drole or mundane or pitiful you or anyone else may find them. (Stop reading if it bugs you that much!)

The Quiet Observer actually has quite a philanthropic and charitable history but unfortunately has been unable to fulfill any of his missionary work due the debilitating nature of his clinical depression.

Your suggested "cure" for his illness illustrates just how naive and ignorant you truly are. Depression is a disease and can't be treated by watching this months latest blockbuster or with a quick drive through the Hill District. How's a drive through the Hill for weight loss?

So leave him and his Blog alone, let him continue freewriting for therapy, and I promise, when he's feeling better he'll take your fellow's Downs(sic) baby up to the Hill for a quick drive - hell, he'll even pop in Slumdog on the overhead DVD. That'll kick the Downs right out of that kid. :-)

Anonymous said...

After rereading my post I can see how this might have been inappopriate on my part. Please accept my apology. I am looking forward to reading of better times in the future for you Dave. God Bless.