Thursday, April 30, 2009

I suppose the return of the Pittsburgh Marathon on Sunday after a five-year absence is a good thing for the City. However, it spells certain doom for my sleep on Saturday night. You see, I have lived in the same block of a street on the Marathon route for more than eight years. Which means that I know from previous experience that at about three o'clock in the morning on the night before the race, several police cars and tow trucks will arrive on my block to issue parking tickets and tow cars that have failed to observe the No Parking signs that will be hung along the street between now and then. The police cars will have their lights going, and the tow trucks will make an immense amount of noise when they are towing multiple cars from the block. This will go on for a little while, and then finally once all of the cars on my block have been towed, the police and tow trucks will move up the street to the next block. But for the period that they are on my block, I have historically not been able to sleep because of all of the commotion just outside my window. I have rather enjoyed the reprieve during the last five years of the Marathon's absence, but with the race's return this weekend also comes what I describe as "my worst night of sleep of the year."

2 comments:

Mr. Blondie said...

Geez, Dave. Will you quit your bitching? Sounds like poor planning and a missed opportunity on your part. Would have been the perfect weekend to plan a road trip!

Unknown said...

The police must have towed over a 500 cars on Negley alone - at $98 a ticket and then towing expenses the city must have made over a $1,000,000. Are the police required to give 24 hour notice before towing cars? Seems that hundreds of people missed the no parking signs.