Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Somewhat to my surprise, I was a fan of the show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," even though it was clearly intended for a younger audience (read: kids). Sure, looking at Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't hurt my interest in the show. But that having been said, this recent fascination with vampires completely baffles me. I don't begin to understand why people watch HBO's "True Blood." It's so . . . bloody. And it seems as though every other new movie released these days is about vampires. But I could not just stand idly by without making some sort of comment about the new movie that depicts Abraham Lincoln (yes, THAT Abraham Lincoln) as a "vampire hunter." Now, of course this movie is fiction. But to me, it sullies history. Abraham Lincoln was a lot of things, not the least of which was a great President. But in no world of fantasy or otherwise should he be considered a vampire hunter. Couldn't they have brought Robert Downey, Jr. back to fight vampires as Sherlock Holmes? He appears to be willing to do any movie script that comes his way. I can actually see Sherlock Holmes fighting vampires. Sherlock Holmes wasn't a real person. He's a literary character. Abraham Lincoln was a real person. The President of the United States kind of real. Not a freaking vampire hunter.

No comments: