Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I have avoided blogging about the UPMC/Highmark issue. It's a true sign of the times that two non-profit organizations whose missions are to provide health care and health care insurance are engaged in this farce of a battle. I don't have anything good to say about Highmark. It is a health insurance company that is now in the hospital business, having recently acquired the Allegheny Health Care System, UPMC's only remaining local hospital competition. So, now both UPMC and Highmark are both medical systems AND insurance companies. I don't know exactly how that works, but I'm sure it makes a lot of non-profit profits. Regarding UPMC, from my observations and those of others whose opinions I trust, it appears clear that UPMC's Jeffrey Romoff is a first-class douchebag. UPMC is an important part of the Pittsburgh landscape and community. UPMC does a lot of good, admirable things in our fair city. But nowadays, when I hear the term "UPMC," it usually makes me ill.


Grinch Romoff
Monday, 28 November 2011 09:45
Written by Rob Rogers

Jeffrey Romoff is sticking to his greedy, bull-headed boycott of Highmark. He and UPMC are more concerned with making profits than treating patients. Maybe it is time to pull their ridiculous non-profit status.

No comments: