Monday, August 1, 2011

Focker's thoughts on baseball . . .

I saw the Pirates and Phillies play yesterday at Citizens Bank Park. Before I went, I was going to commence a re-familiarization with sports so I could at least "talk the talk" with all the meatheads, neanderthals, working-class stiffs, and other interesting folk who follow sports religiously.

Besides, it could loosen me up a bit and add some "fun" to my otherwise increasingly Presbyterian austere-like existence.

Well, the game yesterday was like being at a Christian revival concert or something. Or maybe it was more like being transported to an alien-like netherworld. Everyone takes 4 hours out of an otherwise glorious summer day so they can pay $50 (yes, $50!!!!!!!!!!) to bake in 95 degree sunshine at the highest levels of the ballpark, sweat all day, drink $7.25
beer, and somehow pay attention to this game that crawls along as slowly as paint dries. I was dying for players to get out so the game would end. Guys brought their girlfriends and they both would have Phillies t-shirts on. So cute.

A good amount of Pirates fans were there as well. When the Bucs did well, they would cheer. Some of the Phillies fans would then heckle them. Back and forth, like children at a high school basketball game or something. "I like Pirates!" "I like Phillies!"

OK, enough of my sarcasm and cynicism. I actually will go back, and am going to try and keep an eye more closely on the Phils, but it all still makes me wonder about the attraction of this game. I think you just need to be raised with the sport, and needs to be a tradition in your family.

No comments: