Friday, May 27, 2011

"Citizens" Bank . . .

DAVE: I know that you hate banks. And I do, too. Even though I get my statements from Citizens online, I am appalled that they are going to start charging people who receive paper statements a fee of $3 per month. I think that is pure lunacy. There are an amazing number of people in this country who are not computer literate or may not even have a computer at home. Plus, it's just outright greed by the banks. All anybody does in this country anymore is take, take, take. Nobody gives.

DAD: Exactly. It isn't as though they are not already making huge profits. But I guess nothing is ever sufficient. Most banks charge merchants a "swipe" fee of between 40 and 45 cents every time a person uses a debit card rather than a credit card, even though it only costs them about 4 cents to process the transaction. Some in congress have suggested a law that will limit the fee the banks can charge for swipes. The response of the banking industry is that, if their swipes fees are limited, they will stop paying interest on checking accounts. They already pay very little interest on checking accounts -- about one-tenth of one per cent. Another example of overbearing greed.

DAVE: My most recent bank statement also informed me that if any previous maintenance charges had been waived for a customer (possibly me), those waivers will no longer be valid. They just make the rules. And change them if they want to.

No comments: